Friday, April 16, 2010

Potting Day tomorrow (Saturday) from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m.

Tomorrow morning, from 9:30am-11:30 am, we'll be working in the greenhouse, putting seedlings in pots.  Our order of 500 4" pots and 50 6" pots arrived on Wednesday.  I also bought four big bags of potting soil, which I hope will be enough.  Some of the seedlings are already too big for even moving to the 4" pots (which, it turns out, are a little shallower than I expected.  Bummer.).  The pole beans are crazy.

The damage to the greenhouse has made for a tricky week.  But we've had some plastic up over part of the roof to keep the rain out, and I put up two blue plastic tarps today that I think will both help keep the rain out--which is important for this next stretch of cool weather, so we can keep the blower for the heat dry--and the warmth in, since it's going to be in the 30s every night for the next four or five nights.  Moving the plants in and out is about to get a lot harder--I think tomorrow we'll repot at least 200 plants, which means we'll double the number trays from 20 to 40, at least.  I'm hoping that the tarps won't block out too much important sunlight, but this week is going to be about tradeoffs.

Anyway, if you'd like to help out tomorrow, we'd love to have you.  The front door to the building will be locked, but you can call up and we'll send someone down to let you in.  (It helps if you e-mail me to let me know you're coming.)

Here are the seedlings yesterday:




Here's just some of the pots we'll be using:



Should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment