On Saturday we had our first work day of 2010. From 8:30-10:30 our small crew worked hard at moving and spreading compost across the length of the garden. Besides me, Tracy, and Noah, we also were joined by Nathan, Dorothy, and Alexis. Not only did we get the compost spread, but we even got it all turned into the soil. The weather was fabulous--ideal for getting some exercise and talking with neighbors.
We still need to find some lime to spread out before getting a load of mulch put on. We're hoping to do a little planting of seeds in the greenhouse this weekend--just confirming a few details first.
This is what it looked like before we started:
Here's Noah getting started loading the wheelbarrow, while I talk to Nathan and Dorothy about a plan.
Tracy and Dorothy worked at raking off the old mulch before we could put on the new compost.
Nathan dumps yet another wheelbarrow load of compost:
It's hard to see, but there are a few worms poking their heads up here, as we're turning over the soil. In almost every shovel I turned over, I saw at least a worm or two. This is a marked difference from last year--when we started the garden there were no worms--the soil seemed almost dead. We've managed to do something right with the soil.
And finally, the compost was all turned in. Not much to see yet, but it's clean and full of potential.
fruit harvest - stolen pears - My fruit harvests this year, in addition to a couple cups of blueberries early this summer: 25 (wohoo!) apples, 2 peaches, 2-3 cups of red raspberries a wee...
22 hours ago