Sunday, March 14, 2010

lists, lists, lists

Planning a garden, especially a big one like the 200 Foot Garden, take a lot of planning.  Lots of lists and spreadsheets, so we know what to buy, what to plant, when, where, etc.  Tracy spent a couple hours on the spreadsheet last night (for all four of our family's garden projects) and I've spent a couple more today, trying to piece everything together.

I think I've got a pretty good list put together for the garden now, enough to make a shopping list for seed starting materials and seeds.  Right now it looks like we'll have at least 32 different varieties of plants at the 200 Foot Garden this year (not counting the extension blocks--I haven't done the planning for those yet).  We'll be putting in about 600 plants total, with most of them starting by seed, in the greenhouse.  We've definitely got some big work days ahead of us.

Now I'm off to order the seeds that we're still missing--I need to order two kinds of chard, eggplant, cherry tomatoes, peppers, new kinds of squash, and more pole bean seeds.  (I'll be ordering from Seeds of Change, Johnny's, and High Mowing, at the very least.)

Our load of compost is set to arrive on Wednesday.  Lots to do, but it won't be long until we've got green stuff growing, and that makes it all worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment